The HSE have announced their proposals for the replacement of the Construction (Design and Management) Regulations 2007 with a new version of the regulations.
The new regulations are expected to be effective from 6 April 2015 and to include:
1. Removal of the independent CDM Co-ordinator role and placing Design Phase health and safety co-ordination with a ‘Principal Designer’ (working title);
2. Removal of the Appendix 4 Competence Assessment criteria;
3. Placing construction phase co-ordination duties with the Principal Contractor;
4. Full application of CDM Regulations to all projects with more than one contractor on site; and
5. Extension of the regulations to all domestic work (currently exempt) and placing client duties for such projects with the first appointee (designer or contractor).
The consultation document is available at the HSE’s website via the following link: